Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I'm Back...

Currently listening to: Beck - I figure I'm going to see them at the Hollywood Bowl, so I should know them better...

So I'm still a little behind, so I'll try to catch up without writing a novel.
Wednesday (June 18th) - My friend Julie and I had dinner. We've both been pretty busy and haven't seen much of each other, so she met me at work and we walked to California Chicken Cafe to pick up dinner. We hung out on Laser's balcony and ate dinner and caught up. It was great.

Friday (20th) -
Met Sarah in Burbank for a movie. We saw Get Smart with Steve Carell. It was really funny. I have heard some people's reviews that said it wasn't good, but I laughed really hard and was entertained the whole time, so in my book it was good. It's not Oscar material, but a good movie.

Saturday (21st) - I worked most of the day and then tried to rent a surf board (for Sunday) and had no luck at Val Surf, so I just had to rent one where we went. I then went to dinner and to the Groundlings comedy show. It was a lot funnier than I thought I was going to be - I highly recommend it. Here is the link check it out if you are in the LA area.
http://www.groundlings.com/start.htm

Sunday (22nd) - Woke up early (for me that's 8am.) and went surfing at El Porto beach with Lynda and Sarah. It was hard work, but I had lots of fun. Sarah and Lynda's goal was to get me standing before we left, but I couldn't seem to get that last stage from my knees to my feet. I did surf some waves kneeling, so it wasn't a total wash. Then I got too tired to try using one of their boards instead of the soft top one I rented. We called it a day, returned the rental board and my rental wet suit, and had lunch at the Shack. Sarah and I hung out for about an hour before I went home and took a shower and then headed back to Sarah's. We had Hollywood Bowl tickets to see Thievery Corporation. It was a great show. Here is a link to their myspace page where you can listen to some songs. http://www.myspace.com/thieverycorporation
We had a little beer and some wine and enjoyed the music and the atmosphere. Friday and Saturday were so hot you could only stand to be outside in the valley (for those of you who don't live here - the valley has the hottest temperature in the LA area) for about 5 min, but Sunday outside at the Hollywood Bowl was great. Perfect temperatures and a great show.

Monday - I left work early and met Sarah and Rod at The Well for happyhour. We had a drink and then went to the LA Film School to see a free screening of The Wackness. It was a great film - highly recommended. Here is the synopsis I found on imdb:
Its the summer of 1994, and the streets of New York are pulsing with hip hop and wafting with the sweet aroma of marijuana. The newly-inaugurated mayor, Rudolph Giuliani, is only beginning to implement his anti-fun initiatives against crimes like noisy portable radio, graffiti and public drunkenness.

The Wackness centers upon a troubled high school student named Luke Shapiro (Josh Peck)a teenage pot dealer who forms a friendship with Dr. Jeffrey Squires (Ben Kingsley), a psychiatrist and kindred lost soul. When the doctor proposes Luke trade him weed for therapy sessions, the two begin to explore both New York City and their own depression.

Propelled by an exuberant hip hop score, The Wackness captures the spell of 1994--a time of pagers, not cell phones; a time when Tupac and Biggie were alive but Kurt Cobain had just died. Funny and moving, The Wackness is an offbeat tale of two lost souls stumbling towards maturity.


That's the update. Until next time....

ODD FACT:
Potato chips were invented when a diner kept complaining that her french fries were "too thick". The cook kept cutting them finer and finer until he shaved them out anger.

No comments: